SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#331810 - 09/22/11 11:27 AM Question for "Podium" users ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I'm using 2 Podium 10's through an Alesis 6 mixer for kb and mic ... I've noticed that if I jack the mixer into the mic input on the Podiums I get a much 'hotter' signal than when jacked into the line input ... louder, maybe even clearer/sharper ... Is there any problem jacking the mixer into the mic input as opposed to the line input?
thnx,

#331813 - 09/22/11 12:28 PM Re: Question for "Podium" users ... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're dealing with different impedance on the inputs. Mike inputs are generally hotter than "line in".

I think you're fine. Generally, on most PA's, there is a 10 db or so "pad", operated by a push/pull button.

Check with the spec sheet or manufacturer to see what's up.

R.

#331819 - 09/22/11 02:31 PM Re: Question for "Podium" users ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I had just asked the same question to onlyfactorydirect tech dept distributors of Podium. I had noticed the only line in for 1/4" jack was for mic. They said it was ok to do that, that it would be a hotter input than line in, but no problem.

#331820 - 09/22/11 02:38 PM Re: Question for "Podium" users ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The main difference is in the input impedance of the mixer. Also, be sure that the phantom power switch is not activated for channels 1 and 2 of the Alesis or you could end up with some distortion.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#331821 - 09/22/11 02:48 PM Re: Question for "Podium" users ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Tony here is my email I sent you.......

Hi Tony,That jack is designed to use with a mic that needs more gain..and not using a mixer.....The mixer into the line input should yield as much gain....It won't hurt the unit using the high gain input, but you would have to watch the clipping..I also noticed extended high volume using the high gain imput will cause the limiter to kick in more often,,

We have used our 802's with the Alesis mixer into the high gain inputs of the 802, for several months..I just keep the hign gain control between 12 and 1 o'clock..

#331825 - 09/22/11 09:57 PM Re: Question for "Podium" users ... [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thanks guys ... I wasn't planning to go from the mixer to the the mic input, but was wondering about it ... I went the usual way for tonight's gig - main outs on the mixer to 'line in' and everything sounded great ... in fact, just 3 songs into the gig, one of the owners came up to me and told me how much he liked my sound ... when leaving he said he would see me there again ... we'll see ... wink
PS I was just filling in for the 'steady guy there' ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online